Tuesday, August 23, 2011

in my earlier days....

I am reading this book....'No Longer a Slumdog'.  It was a free book and you can get it here http://www.gfa.org/book/  I am just partially through it but let me tell you - it is good, it is easy to read (just on my level) and gives you enough to make you cry....

I wanted to share a portion of the Forward in the book written by Francis Chan.....just because well....it's you and it's me......

In my early days, I would see images on the televsion of suffering people overseas.  I would quickly switch the channel because I did not want to see suffering.  I certainly did not take the time to think of them as individuals with names, lives, families and souls that are just as valuable as my own.  I merely labeled them, "needy" rather than lovely people with personalities.  Work hard at seeing their worth.  Pray and work for them, as you would want them to do for you if the tables were turned

What if for a moment you imagined the tables being turned?   I certainly don't want to do that....in fact I turn the station if it is on the news.....HOW DARE I!!!!.....Seriously, if that was you or me....would you say, 'It's okay.  I know it is hard to look at or think about so don't worry about me and my suffering.' 

NO!!!!!
 
It's not okay. It's not okay on so many levels......

These are REAL people.  Real names. Real lives.  Real families that are in desperate need. 

I'm not posting this for you, it is for them.  Domestically kids need help.  Internationally kids need help.  Do I think that everyone is supposed to adopt?  No.  Do I think that more people could do it than are?  Yes ma'am and yes sir.  If you can't adopt, sponsor a child at Compassion International, go on a mission trip, reach out in some way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment